Saturday, August 25, 2018

Currently On the Easel: Escape from The City


Current state.  The colors are far less blue.  I'm thinking about calling it 
first day of spring.  Lots more detail and definition.



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the current status of the painting under discussion here, after considerable work this week:

A friend of mine said that the orange part looked to him like a wall, not a city.   I do think of it both ways, and I think of a wall as in some ways a symbolic way of representing a city.  Here is another painting I've been working on for some time where the large expanse in the middle is more explicitly a wall, but for me it also symbolizes "city"...
There is a kind of cubist texture to both these wall-city paintings.  In the orange painting that is on the easel right now (well, actually both paintngs are on the easel at the moment) I am working layer by layer, trying to both intensify and deepen the orange color while also develop the cubistic urban texture.

The mountains and sky have a color feel that reminds me a little bit of Rockwell Kent...
The orange 'city' is sort of a cubistic version of the way painters in Italy would depict a city prior to the Renaissance...
... I have a lot of work to do to develop the urban texture.

There is also a Rothko aspect to what I am trying to do with this painting...

In a way I am most interested in developing glowing swathes of color.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm far from sure what this painting is about, but it has to have a working title.  The color is more vivid than I am used to working with.  It's perhaps a sort of apocalyptic picnic.  Possibly a better title - apocalyptic picnic.   It's largish - three feet by four feet.  I think it needs more characters in the forefront.

2 comments:

  1. I really love the way this looks on your blog-in the studio, of course, it is incredible

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm planning to use this blog to follow along as the painting developes and to discuss influences and possible meanings, problems that come up, etc..

    ReplyDelete